Back when I was still living in Zurich, Switzerland I always fantasized about skiing. We had an Austrian neighbor who would tell stories about his skiing and snowboarding adventures. Austria sure is a long way from Southeast Asia. But it's nice to dream about places that are worlds away. And what could be more different from the steamy rivers of Laos, and the busy streets of Phnom Penh than ski holidays in Austria?

Austria is a lovely country in Europe nestled between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic – yes it truly is at the centre of things. I never quite made it there but after watching Before Sunrise, I've always wanted to go. I wanted to be whisked away by a handsome stranger and get lost in the streets of Salzburg and Vienna and soak in the gorgeous scenery. I imagined everywhere I would go there will be mountains packed with ski slopes just begging to be visited.

I already did my research and narrowed down my choices of ski resorts. There's Alpbach which has a lovely Austrian village setting. If I wanted to stay close to Innsbruck, I could check out Igls. I was told some of the best skiing can be found at Kitzb├╝hel, where I might get to watch a professional downhill ski race.

It seemed like skiing in Austria wasn't the only fun thing to do. A lot of resort towns are crowded with bars and clubs that serve great European beer. There are resorts like Mayrhofen where they have bustling nightlife and have pubs and bars to suit any type of party goer.

Sadly, I didn't get to stay in Europe long enough to experience these awe-inspiring mountains, great skiing and fun nightlife. But it's another reason to go back. I guess that's the essence of travel: The more places you've seen, the more you places you realize you haven't been to- yet.

Don’t be afraid to dream BIG when you make your wanderlist. It's a small world after all!

What's on YOUR wanderlist?

Wishful Thinking,

*This is a sponsored post.

Categories: , ,

1. ThomasRippel says:

I have a feeling I will be seeing you soon ;-)

2. Sole Sisters says:

So happy chatting with you today! Perhaps working with you on the organic farm can be sooner than we think!

3. it's true what they say, i think. you travel the world thinking you'll be crossing out places in your bucket list, but really the list only gets longer along the way. :D

4. Eartha says:

come with me next year!!!
    or better yet, just come visit me in LA during the winter, and I can take you skiing! i have a feeling you'd enjoy snowboarding more though... I do! :)

5. grasya says:

life is short and the world is small, who knows we might cross our paths in Austria too. take care dear girls - grasya . com

6. Sole Sisters says:

I totally agree with you Paul! Now the list never ends!

7. Sole Sisters says:

I want to go with you Eartha! We should really go on an adventure soon! And yes, I also have a feeling I will like snowboarding more than skiing..

8. Sole Sisters says:

Wow! Big plans for you too Grace huh? I'm sure our paths will cross soon! Wishing you many happy adventures!

9. I love the idea of compiling an extensive bucket list/wanderlist. There's so much to see and do and so little time, haha

Oh yes, we gotta dream BIG, it's FREE after all. I have my fingers crossed for your Europe Dreams Josephine. Keep on taking those awesome pictures!

" There's so much to see and do and so little time"- I absolutely agree with you this Chris. We have a finite amount of time on earth. We best make use of it and see as much as we can!

12. *high five* on having BIG DREAMS. :) i have yet to experience europe myself, hopefully next year is the year =)