Travel With-it Thursday: Music Heals My SoleThursday, December 02, 2010
Picture these scenarios:
1. You're patiently waiting for the local bus that you were told would be coming right around the corner in 5 minutes. Then 5 minutes turn to an hour, an hour turns to 4...there's still no bus in sight.
2. Camping in the airport to save on a night's accommodation.
|Chichi checks in NAIA Terminal 3!|
4. Taking that 16-hour overnighter to get to your next destination in order to again save on one night's accommodation.
5. Your flight leaves without you so you wait 3 long hours for the next available one - which by the way cost you Php3,022 instead of the original 1 peso fare.
I know you've been in one (or all) of the situations I've mentioned above. What do they all have in common? They're all B-O-R-I-N-G! Although traveling is exciting and full of adventure, there are definite blah moments in between that time when you spent the night on a virgin island and the 10-hour bus ride to get there.
Inevitably, there would be a lull between those magic moments while on the road.
How do you keep yourself from dying of boredom during these dull times?
|Photo by Carl Custodio|
Thank you, Steve!
discovery of teleportation, as far as the Sole Sisters are concerned.
Isn't it obvious that the Sole Sisters love music? From our 'Hello World' post on this site, where I admit to having a thing for the Brit, to the musical pun on the title of the perfect RTW dress article. And just recently, Lois' Battle of the Islands article bombarded you with musical references. (Bet you didn't realize that huh? Go ahead, take another peek.) Heck, even our blog name is a song title reference. (Train anyone?)
We just can't imagine
Sole Sister Lois' Ultimate Top 5:
- Waking Up in Vegas by Katy Perry
- Chasing Pavements by Adele
- Girl from Ipanema by Joao Gilberto
- You and I by Ingrid Michaelson
- Destiny by Zero 7
I listed my favorite songs along with the Sole Sisters' Top 5 travel essentials but let me share it again.. Although this could change in about a millisecond. Shush with the Britney song already, go create your own.
Sole Sister Chichi's Ultimate Top 5:
- 'Drive' by Incubus
- 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack
- 'Im Into Something Good' by The Bird and The Bee
- 'Better Together' by Jack Johnson
- 'Break the Ice' by Britney Spears
It was tough choosing only 5 from the 342454546 songs I love, which ranges from Incubus, Katy Perry, the Beatles, Sevendust, Kenny G, Coldplay, James Morrisson, Disturbed, Hedkandi, Sade, Tiesto, Kylie Minogue, Pearl Jam to Beyonce. Random huh?
If you're like me who find it hard to narrow down the choices, here's a little help in choosing a travel-worthy kick-ass playlist. The cool folks over at Jet Packer give you the Ultimate Road Trip Playlist.
Aside from helping you fast-forward through those blah moments when traveling, your ipod also comes in handy during these iffy situations:
- When you're trying to get some shut-eye on a long-haul flight. Just as you get to REM, the baby 2 rows away from you wails at the top of her effin' (bless her soul) lungs. Play Bob Marley's Don't Worry Be Happy while praying the mom gives the kid valium.
- Helps in trying to avoid those pesky touts. Although nothing seems to deter them
- Provides cover when you see that 'hey little lady' looks from the sleazy guy over on the next table. Although nothing seems to deter him.
- Drowning out that tacky 80s song that's playing overhead, Faithfully from Journey. I'm proud of you Arnel Pineda but shouldn't we have come up with a new song and left this one in the 80s?
Most importantly, music makes you dance. This Sole Sister loves absolutely nothing more than dancing. Except perhaps Britney Spears. I'm kidding.
What's on your playlist? I'm dying to hear about it!
Until next Thursday,
Sole Sister Chichi
Travel With-it Thursdays is a weekly series that features miracle products and travel essentials that every sole sister needs in her travel pack. Last Thursday, we shared the miracle product that says buh-bye to oiliness. Come back next Thursday, we'll share with you another backpack essential that is the ultimate manifestation of our Pinoy pride.