Sole Sisters' Guide to Surfing in the Philippines

One of the things that makes me feel most alive, besides traveling, is surfing.

Sole Sisters' Guide to Surfing in the PhilippinesI got into the sport a few years back and since then I've been hooked. I did not start out with any formal instruction. Just a long board and a bunch of people eager enough to learn and push each other on the board whenever there was an oncoming wave. I have to admit, it felt really cool to finally be able to stand up and ride that wave. Here are 10 reasons why I think every Sole Sister should get into surfing (and Sole-dier boys for that matter):

1 Ever seen a surfer with a beer gut?

The ocean is a great Life Coach. For starters, it teaches you to be patient while waiting for the perfect wave, to paddle as hard as you can even when it hurts, to just ride that wave and to quickly get back on the board after getting wiped out.

3 The Philippines is a premier surfing haven. With its temperate waters, there's no need for a bulky wetsuit. And you can surf all year round.

Sole Sisters' Guide to Surfing in the Philippines4 It will not only jumpstart you on a healthy lifestyle, it's also a great way to meet surfer dudes. Surfer babes, if you're a guy. (Right, Hutch?)

5 If a dog can do it, why can't you?

6 There are no known shark attacks in the Philippines.

7 You don't need to own a board to learn how to surf. Board rental is dirt cheap for 200PHP (less than $5)/hour. I usually haggle with the locals to rent a board for 400PHP for half a day. A smile and the promise of renting from them again always does the trick.
Sole Sisters' Guide to Surfing in the Philippines (Part 1)

8 Surfing is an intense full-body workout. Trust me on this. You'll be sore the next day. In all the right places.

9 Three words for ya: Cheap surf lessons. It costs 200PHP (less than $5)/hour on an average to hire a surfing instructor.

10 Only a surfer knows the feeling of getting stoked. Now don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself!

Sole Sisters' Guide to Surfing in the Philippines

Now that I've convinced brainwashed you to try surfing, Let me share with you the four best surf spots in the Philippines for beginners. That's coming up on Part 2 so stay tuned for that.

So are you up for the surfing challenge? Leave us a comment because we love hearing what you think.

Photo Round up (in order of appearance):
1 Joy Ishi on a wave during the 2007 Rimat Ti Amianan Surfing Competition in San Juan, La Union.
2 German surfer asking me and my friends to join them for drinks (a.k.a. buko juice) in San Juan, La Union.
3 My brother in law, Manchos and our dog Roxy learning how to surf in Bagasbas Beach, Daet. She's not named Roxy for nothin'.
4 Cameron Diaz with a surfboard from here.
5 Collage of photos from my many trips to San Juan, La Union this year

1. Ed says:

Been to Siargao once, I tried surfing and wanted to give up on the first 30 minutes! i even shaved my head para kelly slater ang dating. haha. i want to try it again. I definitely agree that it's a great workout! i want to go back to Siargao. or just maybe try La Union.

2. i do skim boarding, tried surfing but it's inaccessible here in the visayas. :) wish i was near baler where waves are friendlier than siargao's.

3. charm says:

i super duper miss surfing... :-( my friend introduced it to me 2 years ago... i moved back in Zamboanga last year and i didnt have any surfing trip for 2009-2010... :-( must ensure il have at least one next year... :D hehehe

4. Pishy says:

Great read, solesisters. I totally had a blast from the past moment just now. Successfully traveling in two is an art specially if you're doing it for a lifetime. Can't wait to read part 2. It seems like you guys aren't runnin out of steam. SO many stories. Keep it comin....

5. Just for the intense body workout, I might try it ;) Now that it's summer in Sydney, I might try it at Bondi Beach, nice post sistah!

6. miss saying this "now im stoked!" nice nice post! going to catanduanes to surf this january..wooohooo!

Hahahah... funny ka talaga Ed! Love the head shaving bit. Authentic ehehe.. Never been to Siargao. Katakot daw ma wipe out dun eh. Donation.. ng balat at dugo! Tara sarping ta!

I'm spending the holidays in Baler and I can't wait. I tried skimboarding. Once. Pero in my opinion, mas dangerous siya kesa surfing. Kasi solid and babagsakan mo. hehe

Oo, I lived abroad for almost 2 years and never got to surf. So bumawi ako pagbalik. I think I've been on more than 7 surf trips this year. Parang kulang pa hehe

Watch out for Part 2 Pishy! Thanks for dropping by and we love hearing from you.

Woohoo! A convert! Ohh do tell us about the first time you tried surfing. Thanks for dropping by Claire!

I miss the feeling too James. Lapit naaa... May surfing ba sa catanduanes? San dun?

13. albino says:

oist lois tama na yang blogging ,,,,its the time of the year !!! lets get wet !!!!

Hahaha.. alvin! Ano pa nga ba ginagawa ko? Andito nako sa Baler kahapon pa! Buti na lang may internet access sa Kahea's. Tuloy pa din blogging. Daan ka ba dito?

15. yel says:

really would love to try surfing. been planning for months now. hopefully i would get the chance to do it this summer! <3

16. Tomer says:

Hey there, u just convinced me to change my plan for next year from living in Thailand, to living in the Philippines :) Congrats!!

Just do it Yel ;-)

The Philippines has some unbelievable surf breaks! So glad to have 'converted' you.!

19. lynn says:

hi ms. lois!

pwede ba magsurf and di marunong lumangoy?

lynn