Philippines - Bohol - Tarsier
Photo Credit: dibaer
Yes, you read it right. I was in Bohol for 6 days but I didn't see a single Tarsier. Nor did I go on the Loboc River Cruise. No ziplining either. Pretty boring vacay don't you think? Well, let me tell you what I did do: I rode on top of a chicken bus to an elementary school in the small town of Dusita. I sat down with kids to talk about their ailments and gave them medicine. I spoke to the locals in their native dialect to ask them what life was like in these parts. Of course I didn't do it alone so I made about 30 new friends in the process. And that was just Day 1.

When Hutch asked me to join him on a trip to Bohol for a medical-dental mission, I answered: Count me in! He was part of the K.I.D.S. Foundation, a group of committed volunteers who share a common passion for the great outdoors and for helping Filipino children from all walks of like. Twice a year, K.I.D.S. Foundation holds 'A Trek to Remember' and brings medical missions, school supplies, books and rain gear to chosen remote highlands in the country. This October, the group chose the Eskaya tribe in Sierra Bullones, Bohol and the neighboring town of Dusita.

I answered without hesitation because I've always wanted to volunteer and give back to the community but never made a real effort to do so. In fact, travolunteering is #6 on the Sole Sisters' list. Now I had an opportunity to take one for the team and make it happen. Plus it allowed me to do something I was passionate about (traveling and volunteering) with someone I was passionate about.

I'll let the photos show you what the Travolunteering experience in Bohol was like:

Trek to Remember 1-A

The Joy of Volunteerism

Trek to Remember 7

Trek to Remember 6

Trek to Remember 10
Photo Credit: Djoanna Tiambeng
Trek to Remember 11

Read the rest of the adventure here.

Have you ever tried Travolunteering? What was your experience like? Share your story with the Sole Sisters!

Until the next trip,

This is Part 1 of a 4 part series about Travolunteering in Bohol. Part 2 is about the trek going up to Sierra Bullones for the medical mission with the Eskaya tribe. Follow the whole trail and share the experience with us.

1. wow, hey I wanna join your org too. how can one join?

2. dud tj says:

yeah... brilliant windowsss...

Hi Marky, thanks for dropping by. You can contact them through their FB page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kabataang-Inyong-Dapat-Suportahan-KIDS-Foundation-Inc/173324053614?filter=1

I'm definitely writing a Guide on Travolunteering in the Philippines. I really want more people to take part in this :-)

Hey Teej! Thanks for the compliment. You mean the kids pics right? Saya nung Trek to Remember experience!

5. "I didn't see a single Tarsier. Nor did I go on the Loboc River Cruise. No ziplining either." --estan would call these tourist traps, are rightly so. i've done Travolunteering thru Medical Ambassadors Phils. thats how i got into traveling :) nice post and God bless your good heart

6. flipnomad says:

what an awesome experience Lois :-) thanks for sharing....

Hey JJ! I agree with Estan, and Ive done those on previous trips so I didn't miss out on anything. I'll check out travolunteering opportunities with Medical Ambassadors as well and see what they have.

May you can share that story on Why Travel Wednesdays? Thanks for reading the post and hopefully we can encourage more people to give back.

Thanks flip! I didn't know what to expect on this trip as it was my first time to travel and volunteer. You're right. It was truly awesome to become part of it.

9. Chyng says:

congrats to you for this achievement. very inspiring.

maybe next year or next time, makapagjoin din ako sa ganito. looks very fulfilling. =)

Hey Chyng! Thanks for dropping by! Love your site. I'm glad I inspired you. Hopefully more people will welcome the opportunity to travel and touch other people's lives in the process, even in small ways.

12. flipnomad says:

what an awesome experience Lois :-) thanks for sharing....

13. dud tj says: